Saturday, July 15, 2006

What's in a Name?

Although we probably won't hold our dream daughter for another couple of years, we've already been contemplating some names. One night, when I couldn't sleep I came up with a name I liked. The name is "Kayleen". Fortunately, when I shared it with Jay, he liked it, too. I once met a young woman named Kayleen. She belonged to a bible study group I attended in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. She was one of the brightest, kindest Christians I ever met. I can never forget her radiant smile. So, I have a very positive image of the name, Kayleen. Besides that, I thought of some Chinese characters that would work really well with the name. In Japan, if you spelled it out in Roman letters it would look like this: Keirin. But, it would have the same pronunciation. The Chinese characters would look like this 契臨. The first character is used in a Japanese Christian vocabulary word, 契約 (keiyaku), which means "covenant", as in God's covenant with His people. The second character is also used in a Japanese Christian vocabulary, 臨材 (rinzai). Now, my Japanese friends, please help me in case I got the character for "zai" wrong. But, anyway, the meaning is "God's presence". So, "Kayleen" or "Keirin" would mean "God's promise or pledge to be present." I thought this would be such an awesome meaning for our future daughter's name. We could remind her, through her name, that God is always with her. Besides that, the English meaning is also cool. It means "pure girl". We pray that someday we'll have a little Kayleen. She may not even be born, yet. But, God knows. We're trusting in His almighty plan!

No comments: