So far during the month of March, we've been blessed to celebrate Chandra's birthday together and Jay's vocal recital. On March 9th we went out to Young's Cafe (a Vietnamese restaurant) which we all loved. Our waiter was from Thailand. But, it was interesting how he took note of Penny's country accent, since she's from Udon Thani, far away from Bangkok. He kept repeating how people in Bangkok have improved their speech. It is typical for those from the big city to look down on those from the Northeast. It would be a little like people from Hollywood looking down on the Clampetts in the Beverly Hillbillies. I was a bit unnerved, too, when he kept asking me about her real parents right in front of Penny. But, I have come to realize that most Thai people are quite unfamiliar with adoption and it's just a complete mystery to them. So, I try to remind myself that they are not trying to be nosy, just curious.
The wonderful adventures of Jay and Chandra adopting their daughter from Thailand and living as adopted children of the Heavenly Father.
Friday, March 23, 2012
Birthday and Recital
So far during the month of March, we've been blessed to celebrate Chandra's birthday together and Jay's vocal recital. On March 9th we went out to Young's Cafe (a Vietnamese restaurant) which we all loved. Our waiter was from Thailand. But, it was interesting how he took note of Penny's country accent, since she's from Udon Thani, far away from Bangkok. He kept repeating how people in Bangkok have improved their speech. It is typical for those from the big city to look down on those from the Northeast. It would be a little like people from Hollywood looking down on the Clampetts in the Beverly Hillbillies. I was a bit unnerved, too, when he kept asking me about her real parents right in front of Penny. But, I have come to realize that most Thai people are quite unfamiliar with adoption and it's just a complete mystery to them. So, I try to remind myself that they are not trying to be nosy, just curious.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment