The wonderful adventures of Jay and Chandra adopting their daughter from Thailand and living as adopted children of the Heavenly Father.
Friday, October 05, 2012
Exploring our New Environment
Well, we've been in our new home now for a little over two weeks. We're still trying to adjust and realize that this is now home. It's even taking the kitty a while to adjust. She seems to get worn out exploring this new home and ends up going to her bed in the utility room to nap. That is the oddest behavior we've ever seen in Jenny. Normally you have to make her go to her bed in the basement. But, it's the one thing that smells and feels familiar to her now. But, since I'm starting to find more of her toys and put some food for her upstairs, too, she's starting to eat better and play more. This morning she had a surprise to look at through the bay window...SNOW!!
Yes, it was over 80 degrees just two days ago and this morning we awaken to our first snow of the season! One thing Penny and I have been enjoying during the warmer days was going out to explore our new area. We visited some Asian market places which are bigger than our little ones in Ft. Collins. And we visited a few parks. The only pictures I can show you of Penny are ones with her face covered.
For some reason this year she is going through a stage of not wanting her picture taken. So, that's why you see more photos of scenery and the cat these days. I'm lucky to get a rare shot of my daughter, except for on very special occasions, it seems. When I do get her picture she is often pouting or refusing to smile for me. Praying that this stage, too, will pass. One thing I love about the area where we live is that there is a huge golf course nearby with beautiful trees, green grass and views of the mountains.
We're just hoping that we can find a good church, where we all feel comfortable, soon, so that we can make good connections with people in our new community. The one activity that keeps us the busiest is school. Jay is busy teaching music to elementary students. Penny is back at her home schooling and I'm busy preparing lessons, teaching her and grading her school work. I really admire classroom teachers who have to do this for 30 kids. It's enough work with one student. But, it's definitely the highlight of my day. I'm LOVING it! A one-on-one ratio is awesome! I'm so impressed on how Penny's reading skills have improved ever since we started homeschooling back in January. I know it doesn't work for everyone. But, fortunately, for me, this was her idea and she is normally highly motivated. Hopefully, we can soon begin to connect with the larger homeschooling community in this area. I better finish up this blog so I can get back to my teaching duties. Who cares about the unpacking?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
So glad that you are finally getting settled. Praying that you find the right church for your family so you can make some friends!
Best,
Holly:)
Post a Comment