Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Christmas Blessings 2012

Having only moved three months before Christmas, and knowing that we would be spending Christmas with family, back in South Dakota, I kept things simple in our household this year. Since I felt like I had just found space in our new house for all of our earthly belongings, I didn't really want to dig out more boxes and have more things to put away. So, I put a few decorations outside and one small tree in the bay window. One little decoration that I actually purchased was special, because it was hand-made by the mom of someone who goes to our previous church. It's a beautiful glass box with lights inside, decorated with a bow and flowers. The couple who were selling them are using the proceeds as a fundraiser to adopt their first child. So, I bought one for both myself and my mom.
For Jay's last holiday concert at his new school they truly thanked him for the great job he did with getting the kids to sing their hearts out. I was really impressed with how he got the kindergartners to memorize several songs, in English, with motions. The reason this was so amazing is because 90 percent of the kids in his school start without knowing English. Most are Spanish speaking with a few speaking other languages, such as Hmong or Vietnamese. We'll always remember their resilience and growth as we watch the tree, that Jay was given after the concert, grow.
This was the first year that I tried something new. I had always received these kinds of homemade gifts when I was a teacher and always loved them. So, this year I finally made some homemade cookie dough gifts in mason jars. It was really fun and I hope that everyone will enjoy them the way I've enjoyed other's gifts which they have generously given to us over the years.
One of the best gifts we received this year was the addition of a new sister-in-law into our family. My brother, Bradley, got married to his beautiful bride, April. And she asked me if the "something borrowed" thing that she should wear could be my wedding dress. It was a special sister-bonding experience to see April wear my dress, which I had just worn nine and half years ago. I can't believe that Jay and I will celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary in 2013! Seeing them exchange their vows reminded us of our own vows and renewed our love for each other. We both feel like we've grown even closer, especially through this past year of so many changes.
My mom did a great job with the dresses, flowers and the cake.
After the wedding, we all enjoyed celebrating Christmas together. We had fun by playing games together, having sleepovers for the cousins at Grandma's house, opening Christmas gifts and watching Brad & April open their wedding gifts. Jay and I also enjoyed getting a little alone time and went to watch the Hobbit. Here are a few pics from our Christmas gatherings.
Penny's favorite gifts, by far, were her I-tunes gift cards. She had been telling me for months that that was what she wanted. So, she wasn't too surprised when she got that from us. But, when she opened up a card from Brad & April and found a second one, she let out a big hoot and holler. She likes finding Korean, Japanese and Thai music to download from i-tunes. She was very excited, when she got home and already used up her first gift card.
We were very blessed to have safe travels in between a few different snow storms that passed through.
We were also totally blessed to have some new friends in Arvada who were willing to come over to our house every day for a week to check on our kitty cat.
They even shoveled the driveway when it snowed here for Christmas eve. What a gift to have already found some new and trusted friends who willingly reached out to us! We feel very cared for and loved by God!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Don't stop blogging even if others don't always comment. Remember blogging is for you not your audience!