Monday, October 07, 2013

Catching Up

Well, I have a couple of events to mention. Penny is now in her junior year of high school. She's starting to think about what she might want to do for her future. She's thinking of possibly wanting to try to go to college. She's still undecided, because she's working so hard at just trying to learn English. I know that she's making great strides, but realize the intensity of college rigor. So, I'm trying to find the balance of encouraging the dream, without pushing her into anything. I was very delighted to hear that one of her ideas of a possible future college of interest was Colorado Christian University. I actually went there for my first year of college and loved it. So, we decided to go visit there for a preview day. It was fun to see all of the changes on the campus, compared to when I was there. Let's just say that was nearly three decades ago. So, there were obviously a lot of changes, but the one thing that seems to remain is their desire to put Christ into the center of all they do and teach. Here are a few pics from the day. The cool thing I noticed when we first entered the cafeteria was that they had pictures of Thailand hanging on the wall. Thailand was not the only country represented. There were flags and photos from several countries around the world where CCU students had gone on mission trips. Now, if you are not familiar with missionaries, or if the word conjures up images of something like "the Inquisition" or certain religious groups who dress a certain way and act like pressure salesmen at your door, that's not what I'm trying to describe. Of course, no human missionary is going to be perfect. Only Christ could be that to all of us. But, He did call all of his followers to go into all of the world, baptizing and teaching them to obey all that He commanded. So, it is a calling that goes out to any and all who call themselves His disciples. The purpose is to share the love of Jesus, as it has been shared with us. Who doesn't like to share a good gift? That's what I'm trying to pass on to my family, friends and neighbors. It'll be exciting to see how God uses Penny's gifts to share His love with others wherever He may lead her. Here is a wall at the CCU campus displaying a map with the destinations of their many missions trips. Learning about different parts of the world and famous people from those countries often fascinates Penny. So, I decided to purchase some tickets (which were half off via "Deal Chicken") to a recent exhibit showing in Denver about Leonardo Davinci and Michelangelo. So, Penny and I went on an adventure to Downtown Denver today. We first drove to a Park-n-Ride garage near a new train station. Then we walked a block to catch a bus. We really enjoyed the exhibit, joining another school tour group there. Here are a few pics of what we saw. Then we had lunch. Penny had Vietnamese noodles and I had a Big Mac for only $1 because the Broncos won their game the day before! We saw something VERY unusual while outside the McD's. Get a load of this! There was a young man holding a large rat and kissing it's face. I thought I'd seen it all! You just never know what you might see in the heart of a metro area in the USA! Well, after that, we caught the free 16th street mall shuttle bus and also walked three blocks to go to Sakura Square. We bought some of our favorite Japanese snacks, "Dorayaki" there. Then we walked and took that shuttle bus to the new train line, which we rode back to our Park-n-Ride lot. Penny enjoyed it, but was pretty worn out. It didn't help that she's been fighting a cold for quite some time, which seems to have enflamed the back of her mouth. We actually took her to the dentist after our outing. Fortunately, they said it looks like her mouth has healed well after getting all four wisdom teeth removed this past summer. So, now it's time to battle the inflammation with salt water rinses. It's a good thing she has a mom to remind her of such things, right?! Well, while she likes to give me sarcastic comments, like any teen, I think she's enjoying our good bonding times together. Just wish Jay would be able to go on all our homeschool field trips, too!

No comments: