Saturday, February 15, 2014

A Very Happy Valentine's Day

Well, we had a very nice Valentine's Day!  We don't go overboard at being elaborate and expensive, but it's fun to do a few little things to celebrate the love that we share with our loved ones on a daily basis.  Why not focus on it for a little celebration once a year, right?  And the thing that I love about the holiday in America, is that it's celebrated for love of all family members and friends, not just for romantic relationships.  In Japan only women are supposed to give chocolate to men on that day.  And then on March 14th only men are supposed to give chocolate back to women.  It's a big obligation thing.  That's why the chocolates that are sold are called "giri choco" (obligation chocolate).  Even a lot of Japanese people don't like the tradition.  I think since living in Japan, I've come to a much deeper appreciation for the celebration in America, and especially because I know that it's even deeper when you know that you are created and loved by the Creator God of the universe!  That's the kind of true love that we are trying to teach our daughter about.  And she's growing and mature in such a marvelous way, since she's coming to a deeper understanding of this immense love of her Maker, Daddy and Savior.


She had a very busy day at her Homeschool Etc. group that meets at our church, yesterday.  They are practicing their worship songs in music class, in preparation for the youth leading a Night of Worship.  Also, in their missions class, a missionary from "Mission to Asia" spoke about some amazing stories of mission work in India.  Penny was greatly impacted and said that perhaps she should study to become a nurse and go to India, someday.  She was also busy practicing singing and dancing for the musical that they are preparing for.  She finally came in and joined me in the church office break room for lunch at 1 p.m.  After lunch, she worked hard on an Algebra test.  She got really tired after such a busy day.  When she got home we called her grandparents to wish them a Happy Valentine's Day.  Right after talking to Grandma on the phone, Penny lied down on the couch and she was instantly asleep.  It was so cute how Jenny immediately curled up by her feet.

So, while those two slept, I made heart-shaped slider hamburgers for our Valentine's Day dinner.

 We actually opened our cards/gifts after dinner.  Penny got the cutest talking monkey giving her love messages from Daddy.  She made me a cute homemade card and gave both Jay and I a beautiful card.  I gave her and Jay some chocolates and Penny some flowers, since she loves roses.  I received a beautiful hallmark heart that lights up with a love message from Jay when I hold it.

It was a great day!  But, my heart goes out to those in our world who have a hole in their hearts.  And I'm not talking about a hole, like the ones in my heart-shaped swiss cheese on the burgers.  I know there are a lot of people with deep wounds and hurts in their hearts and this day makes them feel depressed.  Our pastor shared that the chief of the fire department in Arvada recently asked local pastors to pray for them, because they are feeling so overwhelmed by taking a record number of calls on people attempting suicide.  One story at a local high school made national news of a 16 year-old boy who lit himself on fire inside the school cafeteria.  That high school has had a busy time in the counseling office, trying to help others from doing the same.  As Penny and I were driving home, she said something very deep and profound about this sad reality in our midst.  She said, "Mom, we really need to pray for people, because so many of them don't know there is a Creator God who made them and loves them.  They feel like no one loves them.  They need to know that there is someone who always loves them, to give them hope."  I'm so glad that God is helping Penny to know how much she is loved.  It is making her into such a content and caring young lady.  Where there was once fear of rejection and mistrust in her eyes, it has now been replaced with such a spark of joy, knowing that she is a child of the King and unconditionally loved.  I can see the fruits of God's Spirit:  love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness and self-control taking root and growing within her spirit.  It's such an incredible miracle of new birth to watch this before my eyes.  I know that God has such an amazing purpose for this young lady's life.  And I get the privilege of being her mom!  What a blessing!


No comments: