One of the dear friends that we are saying, "Good-bye" to is our newfound friend, Beatrice. I work with Beatrice in the office at the church. She is such a cheerful, kind, and loving woman of God. We also enjoy chatting with her about Sweden, because Jay's grandmother was from Sweden, just as Beatrice is. But, now Beatrice and her family are heading out on a new adventure in their lives. They have sold their home and bought a boat in Florida, which they are planning to use to sail around the world, in order to assist missionaries in various parts of the world. So, the ladies on our staff had a Farewell Tea Time to say, "Bon Voyage!" to our dear friend, Beatrice.
We also celebrated my 45th birthday. I'm not one of these women who is afraid to tell my age. I think we should celebrate our life, no matter how old we are. After all, isn't it a wonderful gift, the years that God has given to us. I realize that my body is getting older, as I just got bifocals for the first time, ever. But, that doesn't slow down my youthful spirit! We had a great time that weekend, celebrating my birthday. On that Saturday, we went to out to eat pizza and then went to a free K-Love concert.
On that Sunday, it was a beautiful day, so sunny and warm that it was too hot for a jacket. Mother and Father (Jay's parents) came down here from Fort Collins to celebrate with us. We went out to eat at the White Fence Farm
and afterwards, they stopped by our house for some cake and ice cream.
What we never could have imagined, was that would be our last time to spend with Father. Now, I wish I had taken more photos with Father in them on my birthday. If I had realized that is was the last precious time we would spend with him, I would have taken lots of pictures. But, his parting came so suddenly, that we didn't get a chance to say, "Good-bye". Now, I'm thankful that I have at least these o photos with him in the background.
That was on Sunday, Mach 9th. On Saturday morning, the 15th, we got the call that you never want to get, that Father was unresponsive. When we arrived at the hospital in Fort Collins, they told us that he was gone. So, it was a week of shocking change for those of us left behind. We're so glad to know that Father is enjoying the best time of his life in heaven, but we sure do miss his quiet, gentle spirit.
Mother has so many friends step forward to show their loving care and support. We had a special memorial gathering on Thurs., March 20th.
It was especially good to see family members, some of whom we hadn't seen for years. My parents came down from SD and my mom, being a florist, did a wonderful job at making the flowers. She even put together a bouquet from the Swedish relatives who quickly e-mailed their support. Penny enjoyed seeing her first cousin, Linnea, and her second cousin, Naomi.
It was also really special to see Jay's uncle, Dave, whom I had never met. It was special to have Uncle Dave share words of encouragement from God's Word, the Bible.
I think he and Mother really enjoyed each other's company, especially now that they have one thing in common--that they have both lost each of their own life partners. It's neat that Mother and Dave have been planning this year to go visit the relatives in Sweden together. We told her not to cancel her plans. I think that it will be just what she needs, as the dear family in Sweden is so supportive of her. And they could visit their own dad's gravesite the next day, as we all went to the Fort Logan National Cemetery in Denver for father's committal service.
It was a short, but special full military honors ceremony on a very chilly March day.
For lunch, afterwards, we all went out to eat at the Country Buffet. That evening we gathered together at our church, where Penny and about 100 other home schooled junior and senior high students led a Night of Worship. It was a very meaningful time as the young people sang songs of praise and hymns. It was especially reflective when they sang, "It is Well with my Soul". And it was so nice to have Mother's brother, Dave, sitting right next to her singing out at the top of his voice. What a fitting way to send Father off to his heavenly home.





No comments:
Post a Comment