We had some more big celebrations this week. The day after Penny's "Coming-of-Age" ceremony it was Jay's 50th birthday! So, we actually starting celebrating the night before, because his mom had come to our house and wasn't sure on when she'd be leaving, depending on the weather. So, that night we went out to the Olive Garden and also had a fun, silly little party at home, as well. I had made the cake ahead of time, the week before, when I had a free day from work and then froze it. I made a variation of a recipe I found online, which was called, "Starbuck's Lemon Poppy Seed Cake". I eliminated the poppy seeds and used strawberries, instead of raspberries. But, we all agreed that we liked it very much. I was quite nervous that it would deflate, due to our high altitude. But, it actually came out okay and froze well. It's hard to see it, but if you look closely you can see there is a picture of Jay with a crown on his head. Rather than the American tradition of throwing an "Over-the-Hill" birthday party, I followed the Japanese tradition of treating someone turning 50 royally! I think he liked that theme better!
Here are some pictures of the silly birthday boy!
Here is the "king" relaxing on his red, royal throne!
Penny got into the fun, too!
Here are some with Jay and his gifts....
It was a really fun party, but we sure missed Jay's dad, as this is the first birthday without him present. We were grateful that the weather cooperated and we were able to have lunch with Mother on Jay's actual birthday.
Whether he's 50 or not, I think this guy is awfully handsome and looking really good for his age! I can't wait to spend the next 50 years with him!
No comments:
Post a Comment