Saturday, April 23, 2016

Fun and Frugal Fitness for your Fabulous Forties

 Some of my blogger friends out there have yet to enter their forties.  So, they may be wondering, "What could be fabulous about your forties?"  Well, I'm discovering, as with anything in life, your forties include both ups and downs.  So, it's more about focusing on what's fabulous.  For example, one of the most fabulous things for me about my forties is that I got to become a mom to a wonderful teenage daughter who brings great joy to my life!  I have a loving husband who is faithful and romantic.  I have the assurance of God's love always, who never leaves me alone, etc., etc.

And how does this relate to fitness?  Well, I know that fitness is a hot topic these days.  And everywhere you turn, you are told you need to be doing something like running a marathon, doing yoga and wear revealing sexy clothes to show how sculpted your body is.  In a sense, it's as if the world is sending a message that the only way to really be "somebody" is to have the perfect body. So, I admire the people who focus more on getting fit, because they want to take care of the body that God gave them, rather than thinking they must make their body look like a a prize sculpture. I'm certainly no model of extreme beauty or a popular athlete.   I'm just your average forty-year old in my 70's style basement trying to get fit.



 In order for fitness to be fabulous in your forties, I think you need to focus on WHY you are getting fit.  Maybe it's because you want to be there for your spouse or your children.  Maybe it's because you want to be able to help your aging parents.  Maybe it's to be able to be there for your friends or your co-workers.  Your body truly is a gift and you should say, "Thank you!" and treasure your gift by taking care of it as best you can, not because you're expected to win some contest.  Leave the beauty contests to the 20 year olds!


So, besides the WHY of fabulous fitness in your forties, let's talk about the HOW and let's do so from a FRUGAL budget, because that's certainly how I've needed to approach it in this decade.  Is it possible to stay fit when your family keeps losing jobs, thanks to the bottomed-out economy?  After all, how can you afford gym memberships and expensive equipment?  I have found out that it's quite possible to stay fit without spending hardly any money.  In fact, you may already have what you need, just stored away, where it never sees the light of day.  That's how it worked for me.  All I needed to do was clean out my drawers and discover all of the old aerobics workout tapes that I still had lying around.  In fact, one of my favorite ones, I bought at a garage sale years ago for only $.99!  I have 5 lb dumb-bell hand weights and an old exercise band.  Here's the kind of equipment that I use.

  So, after I quit my custodial job and started another part-time office-type job, I decided I had better plan fitness into my schedule, lest I need to start spending a lot of money on a new wardrobe.  My waist line definitely starts expanding in my forties if I don't exercise!

So, I set a goal to do aerobic type exercise at least two or three times per week.  And now that the weather is getting nicer I've starting biking to work at least once per week.  As it gets even warmer, I may increase it to at least twice per week.  Here is the post that I did about my commute to work by bike. Biking to Work post 
When I can't bike, I also try to take walks in the open space park right behind our church.

So, why don't I do hip things to stay in shape?  Well, don't be offended if you are a yoga fan, but that is definitely out for me.  I don't like the background where it comes from and the true intention to lead you into Eastern meditation, the purpose of which is to empty your mind.  Our daughter experienced enough of that to know how emptying one's mind can open it up to be filled with evil spirits.  Besides, I'm wanting to do more varied exercise, which combines a cardiovascular type of workout with more of calisthenic strengthening exercises.  That's what the weights, sit-ups, leg lifts, etc. combined with the aerobics or bike riding has done for me.  You can do these kinds of workouts in your own home or neighborhood, without any fit bit or gym membership.  You may not lose pounds.  In fact, I've gained pounds, thanks to more muscle.  But, you won't need to spend money on new clothes, because you'll be able to fit into your old clothes.

And what is FUN about my workouts?

Having the cat rubbing my head and purring while I do sit ups!

 Of when she gets crazy and attacks my exercise band while doing leg lifts.


And for me, as a nature-loving introvert, I absolutely love the peace and the quiet of the morning bike rides. I get to hear the peaceful water of the creek burbling by me, watch mallard ducks diving in the water and hear robins singing their hearts out.   The views on my walks are incredible.  I get to see the mountains and horseback riders.  The beauty of life is all around.  You hear the hum of bugs, the sound of the breeze blowing the grass, dogs barking, children squealing with delight and countless birds singing, including my favorite, the meadowlark.

It's fabulous to feel fit in your forties and know that you're not breaking the bank to do so.  What are some ways that you have found to stay in shape and not spend a fortune to stay healthy?

No comments: