Thursday, July 07, 2016

Guest Bathroom Makeover

I have started to give our ugly guest bathroom a makeover.  Ever since we moved in I have imagined what our bathroom would look like if I repainted it.  But, here it is 3 and a half years since we moved in and I'm finally making that dream a reality.  I was tired of looking at the old, dingy bathroom that I hardly want to enter, because of it's ugly state.  Just look at how shabby things look in there.








The only things I have purchased, so far for this makeover is a new metal cover for the pipe from the toilet to the wall. ( See the old one above); 1 quart of paint; and some solution to remove rust stains from the sink.  The grand total cost of those items were $25.  Actually, I also purchased some new linens, rugs and items for the bathroom at Kohl's for the cost of $85.  So, up until now I've spent a little over $100.  Let me show you how far I've come so far with the transformation.


Notice the spackling? There were some uneven seams probably from when they put the shower in.  So, I decided to try to even out these uneven seams, by smoothing over them with spackling.


Notice, one more spot I added spackling.  Also, I painted the edges of the ceiling with fresh white paint.


Next, I repainted the support beam with fresh white paint as it was very dull and ugly with various stains.



Here's what it looked like when I started painting the edges.



I used some leftover paint I had used at our house in Ft. Collins.  It's Behr paint and the color is "Emminence".

After I painted the edges, Jay helped me out by removing the towel racks.  Here's what it looks like since I've painted two coats of paint on the walls.




It only seemed to need one coat of white paint on the ceiling, but two coats of the white for the trim between the walls and the ceiling.


And remember that ugly, old, rusty vent cover?  Here it is after I spray painted it white.


And then there were those hideous looking discolored metal handles to the bathroom vanity.  Here is what they are looking like since I've spray painted them with silver paint.  Notice, I also repainted the vanity doors with fresh white paint, as well.



And here is what the room looks like after repainting it, putting down some rugs, getting new towels and  a couple of accessories, in addition to hanging some pictures on the walls.






Now the guest bathroom will look a little more welcoming for our international student who will be visiting us from Japan in a little over two weeks.  Since completing the bathroom project I have begun another painting project downstairs.  To be continued....








No comments: