Tuesday, November 08, 2016

A Chair Fit for a King (or a President)

On this election day, I want to just relax and leave the results of the election to the King.  After all, He created the people who will vote.  And He cares about them more than anyone.  So, in celebration of His majesty and His power on the throne, I'm going to share a little DIY project that I started working on this past weekend which transformed our outdoor chairs, to make them look a little more stately.



I was blessed by my former neighbor lady, who kindly passed on her patio furniture to us.  Thanks, Beth!  Unfortunately, we don't have the fortune of having a covered patio.  And I made the mistake of leaving these older chairs with their cushions sitting out all year in the elements, which were not kind to these old and tired cushions.  See here the mold that had grown on the bottom side of the cushions.


Besides the weather, the other thing that took a toll on these cushions were the raccoons living under the deck.  They decided they needed some nice padding for their nest below the deck and started ripping apart the cushions, which were already getting thin and worn out.



Besides that, the paint was also chipping away and looking old and tired.




So, I took a can of primer, first, which I bought at Walmart for under $5.


And I primed the entire chair so that it looked like this.


Then I completed it by using this can of spray paint, which was under $4.  I used the hammered style, because of the rough, bumpy surface with imperfections of peeling paint, which I tried to scrub off as much as possible before painting these chairs.


 Then I proceeded to remove the little tabs with screws, which held the old cushions down to the chairs.  I wanted to use them to secure the cushion tightly to the chair.



Then I used them to secure the top of loop of the new cushion to the top of the chair.


I purchased the new cushions on clearance on Walmart.com.  The reason I decided to get cushions, now, is because they are definitely on sale during this season.  I paid about $28 per cushion.  With tax, it cost me about $150 plus just under $10 for the spray paint.  The table and 5 chairs was a gift from the neighbor lady.  I was looking at blowout prices online of whole sets of patio furniture.  It's not uncommon to pay just under $900 for a set of furniture even on blowout sales.  So, I'd say that this DIY project saved me about $800!  And here's what the final look...






Now, I just 4 more chairs to go in order to complete the project.  In the end, I hope that they will look fit to seat any king, or president.












No comments: