Saturday, August 09, 2008

Random Thoughts about Waiting for our Child


WARNING: This is a link to a tear-jerker song for waiting parents. It was written by a man waiting for his daughter Lucy who is from Taiwan. I found it on a friend's blog and she said the man who wrote it gave permission on his blog to share this with other adoptive parents. Get some tissue ready.

ANNOUNCING THE BIRTH OF OUR BOUNCING BABY ZUCHINNI WEIGHING IN AT ABOUT FOUR POUNDS

Ha! Perhaps we're going a bit delirious waiting for our teenage daughter. Lately I got to thinking that this kind of waiting really is not very much like waiting for a biological child at all. There are actually few similarities. In fact, it seems more akin to what those of us who believe the words of the New Testament are waiting for. That is, we are waiting in great expectation for the second coming of Jesus Christ. You're probably saying, "Let's get some help for this woman who thinks her child is her savior." But, hold on a minute and I'll explain. When you're waiting for a biological child there are actual physical signs in the mother's body. Not so in waiting for our teenage daughter nor our savior. With a biological child you have a due date. Not so with an adoption or the second coming. With a biological child everyone stops to give you advice or tell you their birthing story, even strangers in the grocery store. No random stranger approaches me and tells me what to expect for my coming teenage daughter or my savior. In our case of waiting for over a year and a half everyone keeps asking, "So any more news?" and even say things like, "Well, what are you going to do if she doesn't come?" I think a lot of people are beginning to doubt that we really will ever be united with our daughter whom we have never met. Likewise, I think many people, especially those who don't know the savior, are doubting that He'll ever come. But, although the discouragement and doubts sometimes come for us, too, we still know deep in our hearts that we should not lose hope. Granted, there are several differences in these two kinds of waiting, too. But, it does help me get my mind around what we are experiencing as there are not really many others going through this experience, besides some faraway blogger friends. It's teaching me to learn total surrender. There is absolutely nothing I can do to control this or make it happen. Giving predictions of dates is ridiculous. No one knows the hour nor the minute for either arrival. For all I know, Jesus could make it back before I meet my daughter. But, I should live as if any minute I'll get a call or some sign. I should prepare my heart, mind and home to welcome both. I should live with great anticipation and never give in to despair no matter what naysayers may say. I should be happy to tell others of the coming events but not be too discouraged if they don't understand or even believe me. Both of these coming events will bring tremendous change. I think perhaps God is using this coming adoption to help me better understand just a little bit more about my upcoming adoption into His family when I'm united with Him through the Savior. He has already come into my heart by faith. But, someday I will be united with Him forever, whether it is my time to take my last breath here on earth or He meets me in the air when He comes again. What a wonderful thought! I have nothing to fear. All the long waiting will be over and I will be at peace with my forever family with the best Daddy in the universe. After all, He made the universe!

4 comments:

Glen and Andrea said...

That is an amazing post. Wow. I await the upcoming arrival of daughter with anticipation.

Andrea from NZ (new mother to our son adopted from Thailand too).

Mrs. Mark Arni said...

Chandra,
This post is right on target! We, too, have been waiting almost 2 years to bring our hoped for little one home from Thailand. There have been so many twists, turns, delays, and yes, even shut doors. HOWEVER, we can certainly see God's loving leadership throughout the whole process and we have definitely learned lots more about surrender. Just as that old gospel song says, "It will be worth it all when we see Jesus!" so it will be worth all of this wait when we see our children face to face and finally hold them in our arms.

Hugs to you and Jay,

Chris in Ohio

hirallysantiago@gmail.com said...

That is a beautiul post and your parallels are really good! Is amazing at how many parallels we can draw to him from our daily life struggles or joys. He has definitely though us quite a bit in our wait for our daughter and while she has been with us as well.

I await the good news of your reunion with your daughter as well and will keep your family in prayer (you, jay and penny).

Hirally

Anonymous said...

'total surrender' I just kept thinking yes so very very true to every word, thank you for an inspiring/comforting post Gem x