Monday, January 12, 2009

The Tears of Homesickness Flow







Good morning. It is 5:15AM and Penny now is able to see her first snow storm. It is snowing and blowing quite heartily. However, that isn't the storm in her heart this morning.

All of us have been trying to weather jet lag, but Penny and Chandra have had the worst of it. Penny hasn't slept most of the night and Chandra hasn't slept much either. We both noticed around 4 this morning some sounds coming from Penny's room. At first I thought she was singing to some music behind her closed door, but then I noticed it sounded more like crying. I knocked softly and slowly opened the door, noticing then that she was curled up sitting on the bed staring at pictures of her friends in Udon Thani and a letter someone had written her. We all cuddled on the bed while Penny had her first real crying time with us.

Up until now, she hadn't shown her emotions much, and maybe just a few small tears. I believe this is the first healthy release of some real crying. However, it certainly hurts my fatherly heart to see her crying. By using the electronic translator, we were able to understand that she said she loves mom and dad and wants to be adopted, however, she wants Udon Thani right now. We were able to explain to her that it is OK and normal to miss things. We also explained that when she starts school, she will make new friends, but that she doesn't need to forget her old friends.

Please pray for Penny to make some neat quality friendships soon, as she definitely has an extroverted heart that likes to make friends. We need to get her tested this week and in school soon. We need wisdom to make the correct choices for her. We will be calling the local junior high today to schedule a testing. The timing of the tears isn't too unexpected, as well, since she should be expecting only her second "time of the month" ever, this week. I hope that I can be a comfort to her this week and show some seeds of God's love for her.

Jay

P.S. These are some pictures from Udon Thani

6 comments:

Hannah said...

I'm so happy you guys are home safe and sound! Is the picture contract thing because she's older? I don't remember that (obviously because we posted pictures). Let Penny know she is not alone - maybe when her English skills improve she can find a pen pal with another adopted older child. We are thinking of her and you! WELCOME HOME!

TracyMcGal said...

Until we adopted Seth I had had no idea how "messy" adjustment was. Now, those first few months home are a blur. I think we all grieved our former "normal". Just from your posts about Penny, I know that she will be fine. Crying is such a cleansing thing. God love her heart. I am praying for all 3 of you. It's hard not being able to "fix it", isn't it?
So glad you are back home and am looking forward to hearing how well Penny adjusts!

hirallysantiago@gmail.com said...

Welcome home and we will keep you in our prayers.

Carey and Norman said...

Thinking of you during your first week home. I know adopting an older child as to be hard as they remember their friends and life in their home country. Our daughter didn't really remember Russia and didn't show the home sickness we anticipated. I know how hard it must be to allow her time to grieve and yet, feel that you cannot do much but allow her time to heal. Can she write to any of her friends? Maybe this would help.

Thinking of you and sending many hugs your way!

Chris and Terri said...

We are so excited you guys finally made it home and are all thinking of you guys.

Terri

Kam said...

Thank you so much for your sweet comment! We are so excited for our friends Andy and Rebecca! Wow, you were just in Thailand. Is it silly that it seems surreal that you were in the same country as our son? Oh my heart hurts. We were just told to expect "Fall" before we travel. We saw our Joel's sweet face over 6 months ago and the thought of waiting that long is hard. If you don't mind me asking...how was your experience? Did you like Thailand?
Welcome home!