The wonderful adventures of Jay and Chandra adopting their daughter from Thailand and living as adopted children of the Heavenly Father.
Thursday, February 05, 2009
Roller Coaster Ride
Well, this first month has certainly had many ups and downs. We're elated to be home, but still struggling with the adjustment. And I still seem to be battling a parasite that I picked up in Thailand. Jay and I are both taking some natural remedies to help with that. Penny is quite healthy. She's been a real trooper in most areas, except when it comes to trying new foods. This first month has been a lot of learning of some very important life lessons for her. It's been quite a shock for us to suddenly be training up our child with lessons most parents start out with in the preschool years. We're trying to cram everything in from the toddler years through the teen years. The idea of personal responsibility is quite a new concept. She was used to the orphanage and the school giving orders and hitting her with a stick when she didn't obey. So, now she's not always sure what to make of her fantasy parents trying to discipline her but not with a stick, but with real consequences. There have definitely been times of testing this new set of rules. Needless to say, the new bicycle is not sitting in the garage yet. But this week has been much better. The "Responsiblity & Rewards" chart I made for her seems to have been helping a lot. We're also SO thankful for Jay's parents and for some friends from church who have been helping out with after school pick-up and care. We feel very blessed that most of the time our daughter is extremely happy and affectionate. She's already making new friends at school. Yesterday when I told her that this Saturday we'll have been in Colorado for four weeks, she said, "Really? Good!" Wow! What a turnaround it has been! Sorry the lack of e-mails and blogs. We were just literally learning how to survive. I think now we'll actually beginning living as we all start to settle into the new normal. Thanks for your loving patience, prayers and support!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Hi Jay, Chandra and Penny! Blessings to you as you navigate these early days of adjustment!!! We can certainly testify that the second month was even smoother than the first for us. I would really like to know what you included in your Responsibilities and Rewards Chart for Penny. I am always interested in new and creative ideas to use with our kids.
Hugs,
Chris
I'm glad you guys are settling in and it's such typical teenage behavior to test boundries regardless of how long you've been in the country :) I would assume it's better than her withdrawing, right? We support you and think of you from across the country. Hope you kick that little bug soon and feel better!
Glad to hear from you! No worries about posting - it is hard to adjust to a new normal and yes the first month is insane (it was for us) so I assume is the same for everyone be it birth, adopted toddler or teenager! It will most definitely start getting better...so funny when you say pre-schooler because the reward chart is what worked for D to learn to potty. Now for picking up toys and cleaning his room we give him pennies for his piggy bank - we earn our money so should he - this will set him up for savings and earnig his allowance when he gets older!
Hirally
Hope you are feeling better soon. It must be hard being sick and trying to parent at the same time. I am always wondering how I will handle those moments.
So glad to hear things continue to go well! Penny sounds incredible! I too would be interested in hearing about your responsibilities and rewards chart.
Blessings~
Hope you feel better soon. Take care
Julie
Hi, Chandra -
How's it going? Haven't talked to you in awhile and see you haven't been able to post lately. Hope you are doing well and things are great with Penny! I know you have a lot of adjusting to do, but your are great people and you have made it home!! You will make it through!
We wish you all the very best!
Jen & Jeff
Post a Comment