Sunday, February 14, 2010

Best Books I've Read to Help my Daughter Blossom

The books that have helped and inspired me most on this new parenting adventure are special gems. I'd like to share them with you. One is a picture book that Penny just loved from the start and wanted to re-read several times. It's by Concordia Publishing called "Adopted and Loved Forever". The author is Annetta E. Dellinger. The artwork is done by Janet McDonnell. I am presently reading "Parenting Your Internationally Adopted Child", by Patty Cogen. I can say that it's probably one of the best books out there on the subject. I can't put it down. A book specifically about parenting teens that I like is, "Parenting Adopted Adolescents" by Gregory C. Keck. And, finally, the book that I would highly recommend if you want to understand Buddhism and how it relates to Christianity, is the book called, "From Buddha to Jesus". It is written by a Thai man who was raised by a family of Buddhists, Christians and Muslims. He did an extended search to figure out what he believed and why. A great insider's view on what God has been doing in the Buddhist world to prepare hearts for the saving power of Jesus.

2 comments:

Kat said...

Ok, so I LOVE Dr.Keck and "Parenting a Hurt Child" and "Adopting the Hurt Child"! They are two books we ALWAYS recommend! I didn't know he had another one! Woo Hoo! I'm actually going to put three of the books you have listed on your blog in my cart at Amazon to buy later (so I don't forget :)). The one about Buddha and Christianity really has me intrigued too and is one of the three! Thanks for your recommendations!

Another three of our favorites (I know you didn't ask, but I LOVE your taste in books!) are "There's No Me Without You" about a woman who opens her life and heart to orphans in Ethiopia. It's very real and sometimes not pretty, but...wow...her heart. "Good Discipline, Great Teens" which is so real and so funny. The author is an adoptive father of 10! Also, "A Hole in Our Gospel" which is NOT about an actual hole, but what we overlook so much as Christians. I don't love the title, but it's hugely about how God works and the need of children around the world. It is written by the President of World Vision.

Now that I've written a book...thank you for some great direction! Don't usually write this much...(Must blog about books now...lol)

Kat said...

Hey, you don't need to publish this, but (if you don't mind) I'm steering a few to this blog tomorrow when I do my review (inspired by you) :). Thank you for some great future reading!