Friday, November 29, 2013

So Much to be Thankful For

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving!  We were invited by some of Jay's distant relatives. Let's see, I think the way they are related is that Grandma Pat was married to Jim, who was a cousin to Jay's Dad. At first we had planned on going to this Grandma Pat's house at a retirement village.  But, dear Grandma Pat fell and went to the hospital just before Thanksgiving.  So, her son, Vince, decided to host the meal at his house.

 There were about 18 people in all.
 I wondered how it would go.  I know, in the past, large gatherings of new people have sometimes been hard.  I, myself, sometimes feel a bit overwhelmed by meeting lots of new people.
 So, I wondered how Penny would feel, meeting so many new relatives.  But, everyone got along marvelously.  We were so thankful for such a blessing.  And, afterwards, we went by the Rehab facility where Grandma Pat had been moved to.  At first, she seemed a little down and depressed.  But, Penny has such a special way of showing kindness and compassion.  She kept asking Pat many caring questions.  She took a great interest in Pat's needlework and said that she'd love to learn how to do cross stitch from her.
She even gave her a massage on her arm and her back.  That brought a great big smile to Pat's face and when we left she was smiling and saying that she should sleep well that night.
 What a gift of joy Penny shared!  Later, when we were home I told her that I was very touched by the love that she shared.  Her response was, "God is good!"  Now, that is a Thanksgiving worth remembering!

No comments: