Sunday, November 24, 2013

This Fall's Painting Projects and Other Attempts at Creativity

Ever since we moved in this past Fall, I've been wanting to repaint and freshen up our home.  It's a nice cottage-style brick home, built in 1970.  But, with that comes some strange quirks, like uneven floors, ugly cinder block walls with other mismatched walls in the laundry room, along with ugly rusting pipes, cobwebs.  Then there is that 70's wheat pattern on the wall paper next to the rough wood paneling that you are apt to get a splinter from, lest your hand rest against the wall in the dark, dungeon-like basement family room.  Penny was actually very scared to go down into the basement until rather recently.  I'm finally beginning to tackle the dark dungeon walls, although I'm still intimidated by the wallpapered walls.  Perhaps by Christmas break I'll be ready to battle those walls.  The only problem is that we're planning on leaving town for Christmas.  Well, maybe by the New Year.  But, at least I have conquered the ugly cinder block wall in the laundry room and two small walls in the family room.  Here are some photos from the laundry room…





Like the family room, this room is still a work in progress.  I have great plans to cover the ugly window and insulation by the window with painted pegboard.  But, that'll be another time.  I'm just glad to have fresh paint up, including spray painting the ugly pipes and getting a shelf installed and a rack for my iron and ironing board to get the stuff off of my floor.

Now, here's the beginning stages of painting in the family room…









I haven't gotten pictures, yet, but Jay has bought some new outlet covers and light switch.  He did already change out the funky 70's light switch that was on the basement wall.  And soon he'll get all of the plates replaced.  It's amazing how these little details can really brighten up a room and make it feel like a new place.  I can't wait to rid the entire basement of the dark, dingy look.  However, there's only so much a working and homeschooling mama can do.  

But, I did take time to be a little creative for fun, too.  I bought an old picture frame.  Sorry I forgot to take a before picture.  But, it was black with a taped on back and no glass.  Got it for $2.99 at a thrift store.  Then I bought a can of spray paint and that new acrylic contact paper that looks/works like a chalkboard.  I spray painted the frame white and put the contact paper on cardboard, inside the frame.  The writing surface is just a little bumpy from the ridges of the cardboard underneath, but Penny says she like the effect it gives when you write on it.  So, something fun and really cheap to spruce up my message board in my kitchen.






And, since I've been in a mood to try new, creative things this fall, I thought I'd try making pumpkin bread.  I knew that I wanted to, since I had a dream about it one night.  To make mine even more tasty, I added chocolate chips to mine.  I tried to make alterations for high altitude and it actually worked!  My attempt at making German pancakes didn't fare quite as well.  Thus, only a picture of the pumpkin bread.  It sure smelled and tasted good.  The fun thing is that the recipe made two loaves.  So, I'm planning to take some slices to neighbors so that I can get to know other new neighbors, some of whom moved in just before or after us.  Making they'd like to have friends in the neighborhood, too.  Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  We have SO much to be thankful for!!!




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your bread looks very tasty! I like your home improvements too!