Friday, July 18, 2014

Commuting by Bike

As some of you already heard, via FB, I've decided to begin biking to work.  Let me clarify....My goal is to try and bike to work at least twice per week, depending on the weather.  So, for the past two weeks I have met my goal.  I also managed to do aerobics in the comfort of my cool basement once per week for the past two weeks.  So, after two weeks plus a couple of extra days when I was practicing and finding different possible routes, I'm ready to announce that I like this new adventure!  Let me elaborate on all of the benefits of biking to work 1.  It saves on gas money.  2.  There is great scenery.  3.  I deal with far less traffic than when I drive to work.  4.  I get great exercise.  5.  I get fresh air.  6.  I don't pay any fees to go work out at a gym.  7.  I actually seem to plan ahead better and make it to work earlier than if I drive.  7.  I get to see wildlife, like Canadian geese, rabbits, mountain magpies, ducks, etc.  8.  I have firmed up already, having lost 1.5 lb., and can wear some clothes again that were getting too tight a year ago.

Next, comes my list of things I've learned so far from this adventure:  1.  Make sure to keep your mouth shut as much as possible, to avoid swallowing bugs.  2.  Make sure you bring water along.  3.  Wear a baseball cap under your helmet if you want to be able to see.  4.  Don't care what people might think about how you look.  5.  Don't pay any heed to those "professional" bikers who pass you like you're standing still.  6.  It's not foolish to get off and push your bike up big hills.  It actually works your arm muscles and your gluts! (But, learn from your mistake of climbing a certain grassy hill, only to find out the one way of escape is by lifting your bike over a locked fence.)  7.  A basket is a very good investment.  8.  Don't forget to wear sunscreen, this is sunny Colorado!  9.  I love my fanny pack.

Here are a few pics from along the ride to work.




This has been a very positive adventure.  I've discovered that Arvada has some wonderful trails!  I can't believe that I haven't discovered them sooner.  We've lived here now almost 2 years and I've only recently begun to find out what nice trails we have.  And if I'm not on trails, I'm usually riding in quiet, residential neighborhoods with nice shade trees.  Most of the way I don't even need to worry about crossing major intersections, because the trails take me under busy streets.  I actually feel safer biking to work than driving.  When I drive I usually see an accident almost on a daily basis.  When I bike I get to hear birds singing.
The return trip is definitely the hardest, because it's much hotter and towards the end, there is a nasty hill.  But, I've discovered that I CAN conquer the 270 feet elevation gain on my bike ride and it's not as daunting as I actually thought it was in my mind.  So, if anything, it's taught me that it's all about just ignoring the naysayer in your own mind and you can accomplish whatever task it is that you set out to do!  You just have to get out there and get moving!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

How very wonderful!! The scenery is gorgeous. What a wonderful and serene setting before entering work. Enjoy your weekend!