So, what have we been up to during this bleak Midwinter season? Well, sometimes we've been cooped up at home, when they've cancelled Sunday church, Wed. bible study, Penny's homeschool group, a singing gig for Jay, my Ladies' Night Out, Penny's babysitting jobs, etc. Jay got at least one snow day, while I had to work that day (after a foot of snow overnight). And one of his concerts got postponed. On the Sunday when church was cancelled we all sat down at the computer and helped Penny to apply for going to a community college for the fall. Now, we've also applied for her to try and get some financial aid, as well. We just finished up the first half of her last semester of high school. And I'm happy to see that she's been making a good friend this year with another girl from her home school group. In fact, Penny has been over to her house, and now her friend came and hung out with us, too. It's a REAL answer to this mama's prayers. I've been praying for years that Penny's heart would heal enough to open up and trust to build friendships. So, it's really exciting to see the answer to those prayers being fulfilled.
We've also spent more time just hanging out and watching movies, which we usually rent for free from the library. Even our kitty likes to join us by settling in on our laps when we're watching movies.
This past month has been rough. Jay has lost two more relatives and will be traveling with his mother to California for another memorial service at the end of March just shortly after the one month anniversary of losing his own dad this past March 15th. It's not been fun going through the grieving process, especially now that we live a little farther away from his mom. But, we still try to see her when we can. The weather hasn't helped much in that regard.
One of the things that many of us like to do during a bleak season is to cook up some comfort food. One night, this past week, I was craving some Japanese comfort food. So, here is what I whipped up for supper….
Japanese Zesty Deep-Fried Chicken
Steamed Short-Grain Rice
Edamame (Soy Beans)
Japanese Potato Salad
Partly, I made it because I've been daydreaming about summer. But, anyway, this meal was a real hit with all members of the family. Even Jay kept commenting on how it tasted like comfort food to him. And he doesn't always say that about the Asian food that I like to sometimes cook.
Finally, now, our snow is starting to melt and the forecast is calling for temps rising to 50's and 60's, possibly even 70 by next weekend. Woo Hoo! Should be a lot nicer for my birthday this week. Yeah! I'll officially be entering my late 40's. Is that possible? I'm hoping that with the coming of Spring, there will be a new spring in our steps and hope on the horizon, even as we face upcoming change that is inevitable, especially with our only child graduating soon. Prayers would be much appreciated! Thanks! Hope you are all weathering this season well. What have you been doing to pass the bleak Midwinter season?


No comments:
Post a Comment