Before…
After…
Then I decided to paint the door that was old, with dirty white, cracking paint.
Before…
After…
So, now it was time to tackle the tall walls which were beyond my reach. It took me forever to start this project, because I wasn't sure, for a long time, as to how I was going to be able to reach the upper corners to get a nice line on the edges. And I didn't really want to rig a ladder up on the steps, lest I should fall. But, my problem was solved by going to Home Depot and asking if they had any kind of tool that could attach a regular paint brush to a long stick. They did and it wasn't too expensive. Only about $7! So, with a new stick that could attach to either my new tool (called a "claw"), or to a regular roller brush I was ready to go!
I used a kitchen step stool and leaned through the spaces between the decorative wooden dowels separating the dining room from the staircase. It was a good thing that I put aluminum foil down there, because I did drip!
You can see the start of my work on the edges in the above photo. I wasn't going for a drastic change. But, I wanted to cover up the dirty white walls, which had 70's orange paint peeking through. I thought a nice neutral color that would just slightly warm up the atmosphere would be nice. So, I went with the same color that Penny had requested in her bedroom, "sandstone".
The one thing I wanted to do right with this makeover, was to actually remove all of the hardware, including the railing that leads down the staircase. Former owners had never removed it when they had painted. Thus there is paint on the all of metal hardware supports and even on the underside of the railing, itself. Here are photos of the ugly brass supports that were becoming tarnished with white and orange paint over them. Some were even missing screws and had mismatched screws, that were halfway screwed in.
This one also had a hole in the wall next to it, for no known reason. So, I got out my spaculing and filled in holes as prep work for this and over gouges in the dirty white wall.
Next, I took the brass supports outside, (yea! it was sunny and warmer and most of our snow had melted!). And I spray painted them a sparkly silver.
So, here is the final completed staircase. I'm sure it's hard to tell from the photos, but it looks so much nicer. Now there is a nice, warm glow, rather than a dingy, ugly old look to our staircase.
And, you'll notice in this photo, that there are many birthday cards. So, the other part of March madness, was that we celebrated my birthday. Can you guess my age? Let's just say that I have now entered my upper 40's. It's hard to believe. But, my eyes are telling me that I'm getting older. I had a very nice birthday with little surprises from Penny and Jay. Penny bought me a couple of my favorite snacks and gave me a nice card.
We went out to eat at Macaroni Grill, which Penny surprisingly ended up liking. And then we came home to eat some yummy ice cream birthday cake that they bought for me, with strawberries inside!
The craziest, "mad" thing that happened on my birthday was that Jay made a tough decision to resign at the end of the school year from his present teaching position. There were more and more signs and indications that his own style of teaching didn't line up with the administration's own ideas about education. So, we are entering a new, unknown stage of life, once again. But, we all seem to have a peace that our God will take care of us and show us the way into the unknown.
Meanwhile, Penny has been having more opportunities to get to know people. We've been discovering over the past six years, that her personality is more introverted. And, with moving to a whole new community about two and half years ago, it had been very hard for her to open up to make new friends. But, this has been a very positive year for her, as she's been developing a new friendship with a girl who will also be graduating with Penny from Home School Etc. Here is a picture of her with her new friend, along with her friend's sister, at a semi-formal dinner that HSE hosted.
And one more shot, just because proud mama had to embarrass her teenage daughter and take a picture of her pretty girl before her fancy dinner.
She also had the opportunity to meet with a Thai college student. But, the girls mostly spoke in English together. This was thanks to a couple from our church who help college students out a lot. He has already taught this other Thai girl how to drive and now Penny is starting to think about having Ed teach her how to drive, too.
Another family from our church recently asked her to join them, along with their college-aged niece, to visit the Denver Art Museum downtown. She said she had a nice time, but seeing the big exhibit of expensive jewelry from around the world was quite overwhelming for her.
Well, that is a summary of our March Madness, so far. What have you been up to, lately?! Hope your March is filled with much mercy along with the madness!



















1 comment:
You have been really busy! Glad Penny is makes friends. Moving is never easy.
Post a Comment