Wednesday, September 02, 2015

Transitions for Late Summer/Fall 2015

Well, August has certainly been a season of transitions around here.  The biggest of which was the fact that Penny became a college student.  Here is a picture of her on her first day to community college.
She is taking English, math and public speaking, which is a full 12 credits, because her English class is worth 5 credits and her math is worth 4 credits.  She's already having a lot of homework.  But, she's working diligently and doing a great job!  She's also learned how to take the city bus to and from school by herself, since twice per week Mom is unable to drive her. It's hard to believe that she's already completed almost the first two weeks of school and is anticipating having a break for Labor Day.  She just gave her first speech in her public speaking class and I understand that it went quite well.  I was pleased to hear her say that when they went over a grammar lesson in English class today it was easy for her, but hard for others, so she helped another small group of students who were struggling.  She's already getting practice in helping to teach English to others, like she dreams of doing in Asia someday.  She also has faced her fears of taking public transportation by herself and discovered that she can do it!  She also has begun learning practical skills in math, such as how to create bar graphs and pie charts in Excel.  She has enjoyed meeting Thai, Hmong, Congolese and former homeschooler friends at community college, among others.  She's already learned so much and it's only been two weeks!

As far as Chandra is concerned, the biggest transition has been getting used to working more hours.  I (Chandra) now work 9 hours more per week than I used to.  I decided to take on this extra part-time custodial job at the church to help out since I'm no longer the primary homeschool teacher, but rather have become more of a tutor for Penny.  

Jay is hoping that there will be a transition into a new job soon.  He's been feeling strange about not going back-to-school when all of the kids are back to school.  He's still looking for a job and hoping to perhaps find one in a bank or credit union this time around.  Meanwhile, he's enjoyed doing some singing.  He joined a chorale group, which will perform some upcoming concerts.  Also, he sang some solos at a farmer's 85th Birthday party near Ft. Collins. 

Chandra also got to sing by joining the choir from our former church at the birthday party.

What was fun was that I got to sit right next to one of our former neighbors from when we lived in Ft. Collins.  We also enjoyed seeing a show horse prancing to music.


Penny was happy to find some furry friends who seemed to like her.


She also had fun, as usual, holding a baby, whose mom is planning to homeschool her 5-year-old boy starting this fall.

Along the theme of transitions, it looks like I finally had to say, "Good-bye!" to my favorite wallet that I bought when I lived in Japan.  I've had it for probably at least 20 years!  It was a very good quality leather wallet from Japan with a cute teddy bear that said, "Milk Teddy".  But, alas, it finally fell apart.

R.I.P., my little Milk Teddy wallet!  I'll miss you!

So, make way for my new, American-sized wallet....


I even got a new fanny pack (Broncos-style) and a new checkbook cover.  Wow!  That's a lot of new things for me!  So, I'm ready to go shopping now!  Well, Jay's probably thinking, don't get too happy about shopping until he finds that new job!



If what you carry in your purse (fanny back) tells you about yourself, mine must be saying that I'm rather simplistic and old-fashioned.  In fact, I still use a paper calendar and have a flip phone, rather than a smart phone.  And, as you can see from the above picture, I'm an old lady now, because I use those clip-on sunglasses, which I said I never would.  


One transition that we're looking forward to is cooler weather, which is supposed to start happening tomorrow and into next week.  We were having lots of smoke in the air, due to the fires out west.  Here's what the hazy sunset looked like this past week.


Here's hoping that you all are having glorious transitions in your lives, as well!













No comments: