Friday, September 12, 2008

WE FINALLY GOT THE CALL!


Today, exactly 9 months and 1 year after we first inquired about our hoped-for daughter we finally the call that we were waiting for. They are sending us her background info (like a referral, only we already know who we are adopting). It should arrive by UPS this weekend. It's funny because Jay had just put banners on his phone last night. The one on the inside said, "Have Faith!" The one on the outside said "Penny". And this morning as I was driving I really started praying very specifically saying, "Lord, please let us hear something by the end of this month." And then the call came before the end of the day! Jay got the call from Andrea Caruthers right after his classes had ended. Then he tried calling me, which of course never gets through as I'm constantly busy as a preschool teacher. I had noticed my cell phone ringing as we were walking out of the classroom. When we got outside our director came out and said that my husband had called and asked me to call him back on the cell phone as soon as I got a chance. I didn't think anything of it. I thought he probably relayed that message as he knows how rarely I check my phone for messages. But, when I came back in and listened to his message I realized that he sounded REALLY, REALLY happy and that made me start grinning ear-to-ear. I was kind of bouncing around after that and my cheeks were really hurting. I got off work early and decided to stop by the grocery store to pick up a balloon and flowers to let Penny know we're thinking of her this day. As I pulled up near the entrance of the store I had to stop for pedestrians. Wouldn't you know it? I saw a blond mother about our age with two pre-teen/teenage Asian daughters walk right in front of me. I smiled and thought, "That'll be me soon!" And then I got choked up and started losing it. I pulled over quickly before the tears made me have an accident. Here's a photo of the flowers and balloon. We're still playing it safe by not posting photos. But, let me tell you that when I saw her new photos over the e-mail when I got home I thought, "She's so beautiful." And what's funny I see so many similarities with her and me. For example, they said she really struggles with math, she's happy, talkative and likes to show off. Sounds like someone I know. And her build is just like mine at that age. I love how she dresses so modestly and has such a sweet smile. I think this must be a match made in heaven. Can you tell that I'm walking on "Cloud Nine"? Thanks to the many of you who have already congratulated us by e-mail. It is so neat to hear from so many of you who have already walked in our shoes. It's quite surreal! Can't believe that we should be traveling to get our daughter around November or December.

9 comments:

Glen and Andrea said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! We got back from Thailand 4 months ago with our son, and I've been reading your blog since I found it a few months ago. I'm so happy for you and your daughter. It's the toughest thing you'll ever do - but oh so worth it! I can't wait to hear more.

chaniemom said...

Glen & Andrea: If you read this please e-mail me and let me know how I can view your private website. Thanks!

Julie said...

I am so pleased for you! It is such great news after the long wait. Looking foward to the next step in your journey to Penny.
Enjoy you preperations for travel and try to take time to relax too- you have a busy time ahead.
Julie, Steve and Panit

Nichole and Craig said...

I am soooooo happy to finally read this great news on your blog.
Congratulations maybe we will be right behind you and get our referral soon too.

Mrs. Mark Arni said...

Congratulations!!!! I am so excited for you!!! We are hoping to be very close behind you traveling to get our little boy.

Roxanne said...

YAY!! That is so exciting! I am so happy for you both!! Please keep us posted on your travel date as we will be in Thailand until Nov 5 picking up our son.

Roxanne said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Carey and Norman said...

Congratulations. I know how long you've waited for "the call." We are thrilled with excitement that you are moving forward and hope to travel soon to bring Penny home.

We had e-mailed you previously about considering adopting a boy with WACAP's waiting child program in Thailand. We decided to pursue this little boy's adoption and our home study is being reviewed this week by WACAP. We hope to have our Thai Dossier minus CIS approval to Andrea by next week.

We cannot tell you how excited we are about your journey!! We know how hard the wait can be and what a blessing it is when you receive news. Looking forward to hearing more news soon about travel to Thailand!

hirallysantiago@gmail.com said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!