The wonderful adventures of Jay and Chandra adopting their daughter from Thailand and living as adopted children of the Heavenly Father.
Tuesday, January 27, 2009
Getting to the Angry Stage
Well, we heard in all of the adoption classes that it is normal for your child to get angry. Well, it seems we're finally starting to see it. And, yes, it is mainly being directed towards me as her mother. So, I guess that it's a good sign that some bonding is happening because she is feeling safe enough to begin to show her "ugly" side and express her anger. It's just not too much fun for my first day back to work to have my daughter growling at me in Thai that she hates me. But, I just smiled and said, "That's fine, but I love you." I feel like we are going through the bonding stages at warp speed. I've heard of others whose children were just numb in the beginning and then they got angry and finally they showed affection. It goes to show that every kid is different. Penny has actually been very happy, loving and affectionate most of the time. It's in the mornings when I tell her that she has to get up that she gets really mad at me. And then there was the time I told her she could not eat Doritos in her bedroom. So, hoping that her first day totally on her own at school is going well. So far no calls from school. So, no news is good news, right?!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You know, I have thought several times today about how HARD mornings are for me! Especially when I was up too late the night before or interrupted several times in the night by my kids. But no matter what the cause, mornings are just hard for me - hard to be cheerful, hard to get moving. Not how my brain is wired to work. So I feel Penny's pain. She must not be a morning person either!
Good job on letting her express her anger without taking it personally. It can't be easy!
I hope things are going well for you and Penny. I continue to think of you and pray that your transition is going well. Glad you are back at school and into your normal daily routine!
Thinking of you!!
Post a Comment