Friday, April 03, 2009

Bumps in the routine

Happy Friday! Oh, how I'm glad it's Friday. We've now had our beautiful daughter, Penny, as a part of our family for almost four months. She is such a sweet girl, and has been ready to help me and Chandra this week during a tough week of "potholes in the routine." Both Chandra and Penny have been dealing with a difficult time of skin maladies that have created lots of pain both physically and emotionally. Last night we realized just how difficult it is to maintain a life of work with two full-time jobs between us and a family life. The Spring Musical at my school has made my sweet wife probably feel like a music teacher's widow for a while, since I'm at all of these late rehearsals. I come home exhausted and none of us feel like doing dishes, laundry, etc. I have to admit, I'm hoping that this unexpected job change that is being thrust upon me soon will have a positive effect in allowing me to discover some joy in getting back into a regular routine of being a husband and father. Perhaps, a part-time teaching job may better suit our family's needs at this point in my life. I'm not sure how that will help financially, but I find that I'm struggling with too much weariness in the grind to enjoy learning to be a father, as well as being a husband that is there, and that is more important than any job. I want to be there for my family, but sometimes I'm not. Our nerves have been a bit frayed this week and it has become all too clear that a change in the routine is what needs to happen. Please keep us in your prayers during this time. I would love to be able to have many more private music students and to resurrect my solo performing opportunities, that have essentially taken a backseat to the last 9 years of teaching. I want to be available to my beautiful ladies at home and not be the husband and father that is in the ship passing in the night.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

Hi there - I guess it's clear that the adjustment into parenting is hard no matter what age your child comes home. I'm sorry you are going through this transition with added stress and I hope you find a job that suits you. I hope Chandra and Penny feel better soon! HUGS

Megan said...

Sending lots of prayers your way in this difficult season. I pray Penny and Chandra experience quick healing. We will continue to pray for your job situation, that God opens those doors wide for you. We know God's desires for Him and family to be first in our lives and your desires match His, Jay, so He will provide. Keep trusting!
Hugs to you all.

Blessings~