Sunday, February 21, 2010

Valentine's Day











We had a great day for Valentine's Day! We got up and Penny was excited to dress up for church. She felt it was a special day. When we got home we opened the cards and gifts that we had given each other. I made up a brochure with free coupons for my family members to offer them free manicures, pedicures or massages. Penny took me up on the offer of a manicure. I tried making some creative pancakes with strawberries in the middle. It was NOT a good idea to try putting them in plastic cookie cutters on the skillet. DUH! But, we had fun, in spite of the melting mess. In the afternoon Penny went over to Grandpa and Grandma's house. It was HER idea to stay overnight! Wow! We wondered what had overcome our child. I think she's really making an effort to try and trust more and fear less that she'll ever be abandoned by her parents. She was very brave, but wouldn't say, "Good-bye" when we left. The next day we heard that minutes after we drove away she ran outside to tell us she had changed her mind. But, when she discovered it was too late she decided to settle in and relax at Grandma's house. So, Jay and I actually had some alone couple time for Valentine's Day. I think he thoroughly enjoyed the pedicure. What a great day!

5 comments:

Kat said...

Your family is just so beautiful and I gotta say that the plastic cookie cutters sounds like something I'd do :)...you are SO not alone in that!

Arnold family said...

I love the cat all dressed up. I miss you guys!!!!

Holly

rosemary said...

What a special day you made it! And how brave Penny was working so hard to try and get through some of those difficult issues. That girl deserves a round of applause!

Angie said...

We buy jasmine rice (from Thailand) at Walmart!

April said...

Chandra,
I love seeing the updates on Penny. She is so beautiful. I can't imagine what she has gone through this past year-what a blessing for her to have such grounded and faithful parents to guide her!
There is an author Heather T Forbes that writes a series of books (you can also google her) that deal with overcoming adoption related trauma through love. it's been a huge paradigm shift in parenting for me. specifically her last book, Dare to Love, has some examples that relate directly to adolescent children.
April