Monday, September 06, 2010

Labor Day Weekend--Rocky Mountain National Park & CSU Thai Student Association BBQ










We're having a great Labor Day weekend this year. On Saturday we took a trip to the mountains. Between PMS and altitude sickness Penny seemed to be a little out of sorts at the beginning. But, by the time we got to the top of Old Fall River Road and Trail Road she forgot her moodiness and dizziness and begin to enjoy herself. We got a lot of great photos and got to see elk, gray jays (not my husband, the bird!), and chipmunks. On Sunday afternoon we went over to CSU's International House, where we joined the Thai student association for their welcome BBQ picnic. It was a lot of fun. We met a lot of friendly people, ate GREAT food and Penny got to practice her slightly rusty Thai. What is interesting to me is that when she speaks Thai with new strangers it comes out REALLY slow. But, when she gets on the phone with her old friends/nannies she speaks at mostly normal, natural conversational speed. I wonder if she's worried that folks from Bangkok will detect her regional dialect. I guess people from her region are often looked down upon by those in Bangkok. But, she was pleasantly surprised by all of the nice new friends that she met last night. And she really seemed to relax and enjoy herself. She also enjoyed laughing at mom's attempts to speak a little Thai. That's what teenagers are for, right? We need them around to make sure we know that we are making big, embarrassing mistakes, right?! Hope you are all having a great holiday weekend, too!




4 comments:

Wendy said...

Chandra,

Where exactly were you? That is GORGEOUS!

chaniemom said...

We were at Rocky Mountain National Park. It's close to Estes Park, CO.

Wendy said...

Duh! I guess I didn't read your post title! I love the Rockies; I haven't been there in about a decade.

Arnold family said...

Looks like a fun weekend. It is great that she still has retained her Thai. I wish we would have tried harder to help Elijah retain Mandarin. Hope all is well and thankgoodness for blogs to keep up on each others news and life.:)

Take Care!!
The Arnolds