Sunday, October 09, 2016

Autumn Spruce Up for the Home

I enjoy looking at some other people's blogs.  They often inspire me to try something new.  Lately, I really enjoyed looking at Rita's fall decor on her blog at  http://suburbsmama.blogspot.com/2016/09/fall-home-tour-2016.html.

Suddenly, I was inspired to clean off my coffee table and put out some fall type decorations.  But, I didn't want to go out and buy anything new.  I studied the photos on Rita's blog and noticed that she often uses trays or baskets to put items on display.  I thought about it and realized that I have a few trays, which we got from our wedding and I never know what to do with them.  So, finally, it was time to dust off one of those trays.  I also liked the idea of displaying a candle, which I had.  Rita had a pretty gold bowl in which she placed some pine cones and mini pumpkins.  I tried to think if I had any large bows.  Again, I remembered a large, pretty, glass bowl which was a wedding gift that I rarely use.  So, I cleaned it out and placed some pine cones and mini pumpkins in it. I also decided to add a small candle holder I already had, as well as a vanilla scented candle.




I also decided to place a couple of candy dishes on the coffee table, along with a book by Billy Graham, since I love inspirational books and this small book not only sounds like a good read, but has a nice, fall-looking cover.



 Lately I've been re-reading Marie Kondo's book "The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up".  In it, she emphasizes the importance of keeping those things that really "spark joy".  Two of the things in my living room that really "spark joy" for me is the wall hanging which is a quilted Japanese print, given as a handmade gift from a friend, when we adopted Penny.  The other is the pillow cover given to us by my sister-in-law.  It's not only special because it's from Doreen, but it's special because it's from the northern part of Thailand.

 In her book, Ms. Kondo promises that once you do the big tidying marathons, as she recommends, you'll never go back to your untidy ways.  I have found this to be true, so far, with my clothes.  I just LOVE that I can find everything, since I don't have a lot of unwanted items crammed in and taking over precious space.  And Kondo's folding method is AWESOME!  It's easy to learn and makes everything stand up so well and makes you quickly see everything in order so you know what's there.  Here's my closest and drawers still keeping up with the Marie Kondo method of tidiness.






 I even recently got inspired to discard a few more things in a drawer that I had already tidied before.  Suddenly, there was even more room to put my makeup bag, which never really had a good spot to rest, before.  This drawer holds my work clothes, items that I sometimes put in my purse, and now my makeup bag, as well.


Because I had removed a box from this drawer, suddenly I had a good box to corral things inside the nightstand, instead.  This is where I keep important things like my eye patch, earplugs, cough drops, chapstick, lotion and ladybug massager!




  So, while I've been doing much better at keeping things tidy in my bedroom, the only problem for me is that this clothing category is the only category I have completed with the Kondo method.  I have not done all of the tidying marathons, yet. Also, I broke the rules by jumping to different categories and doing mini-marathons.  I guess I've been too afraid to start the next giant project of going through all of our books.  But, finally, this weekend, I decided to be brave and begin to face the giant.  I say "giant", because we have a LOT of books.  We are a house full of quiet, book-loving introverts.  In fact, I worked in a library both in high school and in college and almost wish I had become a librarian as my career.  Needless to say, I love books.  Well, I thought that they weren't looking too bad.  Here are the main bookshelves downstairs.


Then I removed the little "curtains" that I use to hide the vast number of books.


After that, I removed the books from those shelves and it started to get a little overwhelming.

 So, I broke another rule and started the process of discarding and reshelving books before I had entirely placed every book in our household on the floor.

 

 

 But, finally I stopped, before I got too far ahead, and finished her suggestion of placing all of the books on the floor.  That meant emptying other bookshelves in the office, as well.
But, I didn't worry about my cookbooks, which I had already weeded out earlier, during one of my mini-tidying marathons.  I also left Jay's books alone in his closet.

This is when it got REALLY overwhelming!  How is it that we've been storing this many books in our house?


But, to be completely honest with you, this photo doesn't reveal that one more pile ended up in the guest bedroom, because I got this brilliant idea that I should move my art books to that room, as well as my blue desk and move the bed for the guests into the office.  Kondo warns her readers that when you do these major cleaning marathons you begin to get new visions and ideas of how you'd like to rearrange your things and your life.  And it's true.  I really got in the groove and suddenly when I saw an empty bookshelf in our old homeschool room, I decided it would work much better upstairs in the living room, rather than the one small, overstuffed shelf we had been using.  Besides, it seemed like an opportune time, since this past week, a picture had literally fallen down off the living room wall, when a nail fell out.  So I had a blank wall I'd been staring at in a wasted corner, wondering what I should do with.  So, I talked Penny into my crazy plan of helping me move the empty shelf up the stairs and into the living room while Jay was at work.  Then I had fun placing a lot of his music, some nice National Geographic books, and some other items like memorabilia, a basket of DVD's, my flute and knick knacks and photos on the shelves.  I really like how it turned out.



I'm hoping this will also inspire Jay to play and sing more, as I just love it when I get to hear his voice!  In fact, that's one of the first things that attracted me to my awesome husband, was his voice.  Here's to making more music together! 
 The other great thing about the new arrangement is that we don't have to climb over Penny's violin case anymore to get to the t.v. trays back in the corner.  Her violin case now stands up between the new shelf and the piano.  And the t.v. trays now take up just a small space in the area where the smaller shelf once stood.  So, now I had a great idea as to what to do with that smaller shelf!  Finally, I have a shelf on which to put my magazine stands next to my bed, as well as my fan.  After all, every woman in that middle stage of life ought to have a fan!  Ha!  Mine is always directed towards my feet, which can be burning hot in the middle of the night.  Here's the new solution!


Notice, how I've directed you back to my areas where I've had some victory, so far.  I'm sure that's because I'm trying to forget the chaos that now lurks in my basement, thanks to the mountain of books.  But, I'm not sure when I'll complete my marathon of tidying the books, as a virus hit me pretty hard these past few days.  So, here's what I've been looking like while I'm not a work.


At least I have a cozy kitty to help me feel better.  And you'll notice that the book I'm reading (for the second time) is Kondo's.

 You'll notice that there are a few other books at my nightstand, as well.  Here is another book I've started with some amazing and tear-jerker, true stories of recent heroines of the faith who are willing to count the cost for following their Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. 


  I am so inspired by these women.
May we keep on encouraging one another to fight the good fight and live our lives full of love and grace!  May He fill our homes with true love, joy and peace
 as we seek Him in the midst of our sometimes chaotic lives!




















No comments: