Saturday, June 14, 2008

Thinking about Penny even on our 5th Anniversary Trip

Here we are celebrating five years of marriage and wondering what it'll be like next year when we are parents to a teenage girl. I guess we are trying to catch up with our peers. Some people act shocked that we are adopting a teen. Actually, I can't imagine adopting a baby. I know it may sound hard to believe but I have peers who have children in high school or college. Jay has some high school classmates who are already grandparents. No, we're too old to have a baby. We don't have as much energy as we did in our twenties, especially after teaching kids all day long. So, I think it'll be wonderful to not have to carry a crying baby and all the stuff that goes with having an infant. Instead, our daughter will be able to carry her own suitcase. Woo Hoo! It'll be so fun doing things together, like cooking. I can't wait to help her with her English as she helps me with my Thai. She'll hopefully have those wonderful Thai traits like friendliness, modesty and an easy going nature for the rest of her life. We're not really worried about adopting a teen. I don't think it'll be as big of a challenge as raising a baby, just different.

Well, today we will be going to the north rim of the black canyon near Gunnison, CO. Then we'll go swimming at the Glenwood Springs hot springs pool. Tomorrow we'll drive back home going through the Rocky Mountain National Park. Yesterday we saw a kayaking festival going on in Salida. I visited with an artist which inspired me to finish up our downstairs room in our new house to become my writer's/artist's studio. I'll have to post pics of our trip later. Last night we ate at the coolest restaurant. It was called Garlic Mike's. It was a really nice Italian restaurant. We ate outdoors near a river with a canopy overhead. It was fun to see birds and chipmunks nearby. Very romantic atmosphere. Can't believe today is five years since we got married. Time flies when you're having fun!

1 comment:

Julie said...

The hot springs sound great. We have thermal pools and hour from us in the mountains. I was just saying to Steve we should have a drive up there. It is so beatuiful now with all the snow capped peeks.
Julie