Saturday, March 21, 2009

Encouragement Comes in Different Forms--Even Food

Thanks to those who commented on Jay's recent blog entry. I think your words came just at the right time and were just what he needed at that time. We are so blessed with these long-distance friendships. And the next one may sound ridiculous, but we were so encouraged by what our daughter ate on Thursday. How many parents get excited over their thirteen year old eating a hamburger. But, this was major for us. Ever since we got Penny she has been turning up her nose to any American food, especially hamburgers and anything to do with bread. On Thursday I told her, "You may have to eat your leftover fish, because I'm making hamburgers." But, she quickly said, "No, I want a hamburger." So, I said, "Okay, but you don't have to eat the bun." But, at the table, all on her own, she reached for the bun and put together her own hamburger. She ate the whole thing and kept saying how delicious it was. Not only that, she also ate the fries that I had put in the oven. When we first got home we had those fries and she wouldn't even come close to touching them. But, on Thursday night she kept saying, "Yummy! (Alloi--Thai) or (Oishii--Japanese)...yes, she has even started learning a few words of Japanese from me.

After her episode of kicking the neighborhood boy and being disciplined by dad, followed by yelling to take her back to the orphanage she's been a very happy girl. She put up several pictures all over her room, not only of her friends in Udon, but also of her new parents. I guess she does know that we love her, after all. Perhaps eating the hamburger was her way of saying, "Hey, I've decided that my new life in America isn't so bad, after all."

3 comments:

Ellie said...

So cute! You know what's funny?? When we were in the process of adopting Jacob, we received an update from Thailand that said that he, "loves bread and chocolate". I think they were trying to make us feel like he would fit in, in the USA! He did love chocolate, but did not love bread! He now really enjoys bread, btw, but he'd still prefer rice or noodles!! You will continue to see Penny being willing to try new things, and discover what she likes and does not like. One of Jacob's favorites is french fries with lots of ketchup! He does not like potatoes in any other form, though!

Thanks for sharing your stories!!
ellie

Ellie said...

Okay, the more I think about the story of Penny kicking that little boy, the more funny it becomes to me! :) Sorry to have some humor at your expense! Just wanted to say that I think that story will provide some laughter for your whole family in the years to come! Hey, not every little 13 year old girl can kick some boy bootie! :)

Jessica said...

Ah food, the universal language of love! Glad that Penny is becoming more open to trying new things and finding her own way of expressing herself. Sounds like that big bite of a juicy hamburger came none to soon. Keeping all three of you in my thoughts and prayers.