As you know, I've been trying to update my laundry room. The first stage was when I painted the cinder block wall. Now that our washing machine died, the next step was to clean up and paint the wall behind the washer, as well as the shelf above it. Now, with that step done and since the new washer arrived, I've started to try to organize things on the shelf that we installed next to the back wall, as well as on the shelf over the washer. I started by buying some containers at Walmart that are probably typically used for things like cereal or pasta. However, they were just the right size for my narrow shelf. So, I bought three: one for the homemade, fragrance-free laundry soap that I make for Penny, one for some color-safe bleach and I'm thinking of using the third for either some Oxi-Clean or for some different laundry soap that I'd like to try out. Since we now have a high-efficiency washer with a special tray for putting the soap in, I thought I had better grind up the homemade soap to a finer, powder-like consistency. So, I did that by putting it in the new blender that my parents gave us for Christmas. It really did the trick and I put all of the soap, which had been housed in new separate plastic containers into one of the new taller containers. I also bought a few colorful containers for the bleach, stain removers and the dryer sheets. So, here's what the shelf currently looks like…

As far as the back shelf goes, here's what it looked like when I started this morning.
So, the first step involved completely taking everything off of the shelves to see what they contained.
The next step involved sorting through the mess to figure out what I could move upstairs or discard and what I wanted to group together and keep on the shelves.
Next, I used a box cutter to remove lids to boxes and some contact paper that I bought at the dollar store to make the ugly boxes look prettier.
Every project is always more fun when you have a feline friend to help you out with the hard work and to help you to recharge your batteries.
And here's what the boxes ended up looking like…
One thing I did decide while I was working on this project is that I'll need to take another trip to the dollar store, because I'd like some large tubs to place the cleaning supplies inside. So, that will be at another time. So, here's what it looks like so far…
1 comment:
I like the boxes covered. That is a great idea and makes it look neater.
Post a Comment