Sunday, October 19, 2008

Connecting People to Jesus


We're very honored to join a new church, today, which is celebrating 20 years of connecting people to Jesus. We've been attending Redeemer Lutheran since Easter. We have found it to be a very warm, loving group of people who truly love Jesus and love to share Him with others. We hope this will be just the nurturing place to help our daughter meet Jesus, personally, too. What's cool was that they did a little write-up in the bulletin about each of the sixty some new members in the bulletin. A couple sitting in front of us read this and came up to welcome us and meet us afterwards. Turns out they adopted their son from Kazakhstan. We have now met at least two adoptive families from the church. And we hear there are several more. So, I got this inspiration to start a new yahoo group specifically for people from our church whose lives have been touched through adoption. So, I'm hoping this will be the start of something special with new ways to connect with other adoptive families in our own community.

This weekend I've been continuing to working on the ongoing painting project in Penny's bedroom. I'll let you know when it's done. Jay is out blowing leaves. Yesterday we visited a woman who is a music teacher to preschoolers and who has also gone on a mission trip to Japan. We enjoyed some yummy Japanese food prepared by a mutual friend, Tomoko. She made "okonomiyaki". Yum! Even my husband seemed to like if although he's sometimes hesitant to try exotic foods.

Another highlight of the weekend for me was having the opportunity to share about my faith with my hair dresser. I was getting my hair cut/colored. Somehow we got on the subject of religious faith. This woman explained that while she was not religious, she considered herself "spiritual" and she thought all religions are good because all truths are the same. I had to share with her that I politely must disagree. I explained using an illustration that I think God gave me on the spot. I told her that just as her instructor had made the first cut for my haircut and she needed to follow it to make the haircut turn out right, so there is one truth. Her teacher called it an "A-line". I said that I believe there is one "A-line" for truth. It is the measure by which we can measure all things in life. If it matches up to this one ultimate truth, we know it is from God and can be trusted. It wouldn't work if there were several different lines or different truths. I'm not sure she got the logic of my point. But, I was thankful for our very civil discussion and a wonderful opportunity to plant a little seed of the truth about Jesus into this woma's heart. For, as I told her, I have investigated the bible and have found that Jesus stands up to the test and proven Himself to be this one truth. May we all seek to know Him deeper!

2 comments:

Carey and Norman said...

Loved your post! Isn't it wonderful when God allows us to plant a small seed in someone else's life. What a true blessing to see God's hand at work!!

Mrs. Mark Arni said...

Excellent illustration, Chandra! May the Lord continue to water and nurture this seed that was planted until it yields fruit in this lady's life.