The wonderful adventures of Jay and Chandra adopting their daughter from Thailand and living as adopted children of the Heavenly Father.
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
Good News & Bad about the Legal Stuff
The good news is that the USCIS (homeland security) office in Bangkok responded to my e-mail inquiry right away. And they told me that they have our I-600A (approval to receive the I-600) and our latest fingerprints. Yeah! But, at the end of the message they said to note that it is presently taking 14-30 days to process the I-600. The I-600, as far as I understand it is the approval to issue our daughter an immigrant visa. You see, she will be entering the US with a Thai passport, not a US passport. So, homeland security has to give her an orphan immigrant visa to allow her to enter the US. Our adoption coordinator is trying to get to the bottom of why the processing is suddenly taking so long. There are two WACAP families in Bangkok right now who are being held up by this delay. It's surely quite a hassle to have to let their employers know that they'll be gone for who knows how much longer, besides the financial burden of changing their airline tickets and getting longer hotel reservations (if they can). WACAP is working hard at trying to speak to all of the government officials they can to see why things can't be expedited. I'm contacting our state representatives, as well, to see if there is anything they can do about this matter. But, Andrea said that some other agencies were reporting that those with all of their paperwork in have been getting their I-600 processed in a timely manner. So, since this, again, is something that will be beyond our control we'll trust that God will cause things to move in His timing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
What a bummer about the processing time! Our adoption process was a faith stretcher like nothing else ever has been for me! It's a good thing God knows how much stretching we can handle before we snap for good!!! : )
I am always in shock at goverment ineffiencies in general - it is in God's hands!!
This is great news on the Embassy receiving your paperwork and terrible news on the processing of it. We will pray that they are able to expediete this paperwork for all traveling families!!
Post a Comment