Tuesday, December 09, 2008

We've made it to Udon Thani, Thailand!

Hello friends and family!

Well, we made it to Udon Thani in Northern Thailand today, Tuesday, December 9th around noon. We pulled a 30-hour straight marathon of staying awake and transferring airports. Chandra and I each managed to take a short nap at Don Muang airport in Bangkok this morning, after transferring from Suvarnabhumi airport in Thailand around 3AM in a taxi speeding rather excessively down the toll road highway in Bangkok!

Udon Thani is definitely a cultural experience with roosters in cages along the main streets and many open air markets with a variety of cuisine cooking. Many people burn their trash in this country and the air is very dirty. I pray that we won't catch anything or have difficulty with respiratory issues. Our hotel is nice but nearly everyone only speaks Thai, which was very frustrating for me to handle, especially on major lack of sleep. We had a rough flight from Tokyo to Bangkok yesterday with moderate to severe turbulence that forced us to go way out of our way and fly directly over Manila, Philippines before heading directly west over Vietnam and Cambodia into Thailand. We are at the CATnet internet cafe sending this letter. The temperature is pleasant today, but it is expected to hover around the high 80's and 90 degrees in Bangkok over the next two weeks; Definitely a far cry from your snow and sub-freezing temperatures. We will have our first meeting with our daughter on Thursday, December 11th at 10AM local time; Fourteen hours ahead of Fort Collins. Take care. I look forward to seeing Colorado again soon!

Jay Regan, for Chandra and our soon-to-be daughter, Penny

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, best wishes for tommorow, how very exciting. And as for the heat... eeek welcome to my world people keep saying I will get used to it but never in a million years I keep our house with the aircon pumping and live in my little arctic cocoon. Gem (from Northern hot hot Australia)

Mrs. Mark Arni said...

Hi Jay, Chandra and Miss Penny! I'm so glad that you have finally made it to Udon Thani safely. If I am still up at 10:00P tonight, I will be praying for your first meeting with Penny. May it be all you have prayed and dreamed it would be!!! May those moments be blessed with the sweet presence of Jesus more than anything else! Love, Chris for all the Arnis

Chris and Terri said...

YEAH!!!!! You made it! Have a wonderful first meeting with Penny! Have to love those international cabs!

Terri

Ellie said...

OHHH!!! So excited for you to meet Penny! Reading your post brings back memories of our exhaustion when we went to Thailand to get Jacob. As exhausting as it is, try to enjoy every bit of your experience. It will be over before you know it! So happy that you are there safely, and soon to meet your daughter! I'll be praying for you!
ellie

Melissa Ens said...

I bet you are all finally together right now... I'm praying for you and thinking of you! : ) Can't wait to hear more...

hisanor said...

It was sooo good to hear the great news. We are praying for you & JCPenny (our spelling) every day -- actually several times a day and night. Our DADDY is sooooo good to us, always. Please communicate our warmest "hi!" to Penny. We will keep praying for you to come back to JCPenny's home safely and quickly! Love in Christ, Hisano