Well, I wish I had some great news to tell you, but instead we're still waiting and wondering when we'll ever get to leave for home. Yesterday we waited all day and the only news we received was that for some reason the USCIS office in Bangkok did not receive the cable Visa 37 which was sent by the Denver CIS office to update the I-600A. So, again it felt like another wasted day with nothing much we could do in a hotel that hadn't turned out to be what had been advertised. Today (Tuesday)we're at a nicer hotel. There are pros and cons, like internet that works, but which is more expensive. We went into downtown Bangkok today to go to the USCIS office thinking by now they would have gotten the cable and we could soon get our interview. Instead we were told that they did not go over to the Embassy to get it yet and we had insufficient evidence for her birth certificate and that her parents and foster parents had relinquished rights. We weren't quite sure what to do so we called our social worker with the DSDW, assigned to us by WACAP, Khun Nuantip. She told us to go over to the Embassy and have them call her. By that time their offices were closed for lunch. So, we went out to the Sizzler for lunch, ourselves. We were all struggling. Jay about lost it with the woman at the DSDW. I had frantically played the helpless "farang" (foreigner) game in order to get a working phone to call Khun Nuantip. The heat, smells and noises of Bangkok are really starting to get to us. I haven't had much appetite and both Jay are having a few digestive issues. Our sweet little girl just officially became a woman over the weekend. Those that's made life interesting. But, thankfully, it occurred right when we staying at the friends' home where they could speak Thai and help explain everything to her. What an answer to prayer!
Back to Tuesday. After lunch we went to the Embassy Visa Consular area. We went to the wrong spot at first. They told us to go to windows 4 or 5 where they process immigrant visas. We had no appointment and there was no once showing up at either counter for a LONG time. So, finally I caught one man leaving the office and asked what we should do. He suggested I cut in line where the endless number of college students were applying for non-immigrant visas. I did this, explaining our situation, and the man did eventually get someone to come out to listen to us. The woman was a very kind Thai woman who spoke good English. While she said they don't normally deal with cases like ours, especially since we haven't been approved by the USCIS, yet, she would be willing to call Khun Nuantip, directly, to let her know what we are still lacking and to see if she could acquire the necessary documentation. We were literally the last people to leave the room at 3 p.m. Then we caught a taxi back to our hotel. It's tough to be stuck in rooms for hours on end, separated from our bags, where we stash our dictionaries/electronic translator, etc. We have no good way to communicate with our daughter who is just stuck there, bored and wondering what's going on. But, she's really hanging in there and not throwing any fits. She was so exhausted when we headed back to the hotel that she fell asleep with her head on my shoulder while still in the taxi. Since, she and Jay are napping, I thought I'd take the chance to come down to the business center to let everyone know about our latest news.
Right now all we can do is wait for Kun Nuantip to collect whatever documentation she can to try to satisfy the CIS. If she can't find it in her file, she'll need to go back to the Udon Thani Girls' Home for more. What's maddening is that the Embassy said that the form she gave us looked to them to be sufficient documentation certifying her birth. They have seen such forms before and not encountered this problem. So, please pray for all the right forms to come through and for our patience as we will need to reschedule our flights once more for who knows when will be good. After all, there is the Christmas break coming up for the US government. They'll be closed on both Thursday and Friday. And the following week everyone will be closed for New Years'. Meanwhile, we worry about the finances of being away from our jobs, unpaid. The only possible thing I can see in this is that perhaps the Lord really wants Penny to experience a Christian celebration of Christmas in Thailand first. We don't know His plan. Please pray for encouragement, hope, peace and health. Thanks a million!
6 comments:
I hope everything comes through for you ones. I wish there was a way to prevent all these delays before you even leave for Thailand.
Hope you have great Christmas.
Thank you for the updates! It's got to be tough, being stuck there, feeling powerless! When we were there, getting Jacob, we were horribly homesick, missing our two kiddos back home, who were 2 & 4 at the time. Looking back, I wish we'd tried to ENJOY our few moments there. (We were there two weeks, but once it's over, it seems like it went fast). During the time there, it seemed to drag on and on. My advise, TRY to enjoy your time there. Take in some sights, if you can. Hang in there! You'll be in your cozy home, soon! I'll pray for your documents to come through, and for you to be able to come home very soon! Praying for your growing relationship with your little lady!
Oh Jay and Chandra,
You poor things. I cannot begin to imagine being in your shoes. Feeling so helpless not knowing what to do or who to ask for help. My heart and prayers are with you during this stressful time. We might not know God's plan for this delay, but I'm glad you are seeking him for peace and know in your heart that he is in control. We will continue to pray for your paperwork to be processed, so you can begin to prepare for your journey home.
Bless your hearts that Miss Penny had to become a woman at a time such as this. Thank the Lord for your friends in Thailand. What a blessing!!
We wish you a Merry Christmas and Blessed New Year. May God work miracles this week allowing you to return home soon!
Thinking of you and praying for your safety, patience, and peace!! May the Lord use you during your extended time in Thailand!
Thing so much of you and hope you will be home soon. I think you Khun nuanthip is the same woman that our organisation is have as contact. And I think she is handling our refferal because it sholud be here very soon. But our organisation wount say wheen and I hoped we should have had it now until christmas - but not. So what is the problem in Thailand right now? Nothing seems to go good.
Praying for sanity and the right documentation! Our thoughts are with you. Jessica
Dearest Jay, Chandra and Penny,
I am so very very sorry that you are experiencing this!!! What has been Khun Nuanthip's response to this latest demand from the USCIS for more documentation? I will be praying for encouragement, hope, peace and health for each of you! Please feel free to call anytime, day or night if you just need to talk or pray with someone.
Hugs,
Chris
Post a Comment