Monday, December 01, 2008

On again, off again!

This has been a rather stressful Thanksgiving weekend, to say, the least. I've had some kind of stomach virus that lasted from Thanksgiving Day through Sunday. We keep checking the news and wondering whether or not we'll be able to go to Thailand. Fortunately, my stomach feels 100% better today. Today our adoption coordinator, Andrea, called from WACAP. She was highly recommending for us to please stay at home until we know more about the situation. She has been unable to get a hold of anyone working with the DSDW (that's the government board that deals with adoptions in Bangkok). She said that worries her and makes her wonder if they have shut down their offices due to all of the political protests.

It seems the situation is getting more and more tense. The pro-government supporters say they will surround the judicial building to prevent judges from meeting on Tuesday. The judges are planning to meet to propose some measures to vote on whether or not to dissolve the reigning political party, including the prime minister. The pro-government supporters say this amounts to a silent coup. The present prime minister appears to have no power, as the police are not enforcing the supposed states of emergency he declared twice at the airports. And the anti-government protesters have sent reinforcements into the airports where they say they will not leave until the present Prime Minister is out.

With now at least 300,000 foreigners stuck because the airport shutdown Andrea is afraid that the American Embassy is going to be a scene of utter chaos. She fears that even if the airports reopen it'll take some time for things to settle down. Seeing as how we need to do all of our legal work at the Embassy in downtown Bangkok she fears this would be extremely difficult and especially stressful on Penny, given there will already be a lot of newness to get used to in being adopted and moving overseas.

So, Jay and I will have to talk it over again tonight, but there's a good chance we'll need to stay at home for now. Fortunately, we purchased airline tickets through Northwest Airlines. They have extremely flexible adoption fares. Very helpful given this is a situation completely beyond anyone's control. But, we know that God is still in control. We don't always understand why He allows these things. We're praying that somehow people in Thailand will seek for Him in this tumultuous time where it seems that no one is in control there.

4 comments:

Nichole and Craig said...

I am sorry to hear that your plans are delayed. It is just awful what is happening in Thailand.
We will also be caused a delay from this and probably will now not receive out referral until the New Year.
I hoping things get moving soon so you can bring Penny home.

hirallysantiago@gmail.com said...

Oh Chandra! I am so sorry to hear this...I know we all along believe it with all of your heart that GOD is in control and he does what is best for us according to his plan adn that he is indeed watching over you guys and Penny - but it doesn't eliminate the pain and heart ache. My heart goes out to you.

Hirally

Ellie said...

This has to be so rough for you, and especially difficult for Penny! Praying for resolution over there! We've got to get our kiddos home! Keep us posted!!

Carey and Norman said...

I'm sorry to hear that your journey to Thailand is postponed. I know how much you wanted to have Penny home for Christmas. I think this is the right decision as it is very stressful traveling overseas with a newly adopted child without any added political stress. We will pray for you and Penny (and the government in Thailand). I hope things ease up soon so you can travel this year to bring Penny home.